Electrical Safety in the Home
Electrical Safety Tips for Your Home
Electricity makes tasks easier, but that doesn’t mean it is without risks. According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 31,000 fires a year are related to electrical problems. To help minimize the danger, practice electrical safety in the home.
Don’t Overload Outlets
Each outlet is designed to handle a certain amount of electricity. By plugging too many devices in, you could damage electrical components or cause a fire. Make sure you’re not overloading the electrical outlets. Inspect outlets to see if they are hot to the touch. If you notice one that feels hot, don’t use it and call a professional electrician.
Replace Damaged Electrical Cords
Exposed wiring is a danger that you should not overlook. Replace or repair an electrical cord if it shows signs of damage or failure. If you notice the protective coating on the wiring is stripped away, replace the cord or purchase a new appliance.
Keep Electrical Appliances Away From Water
Water conducts electricity so it’s important that you keep your appliances away from sinks, the bathtub, and even your pet’s water bowl. Always operate devices with dry hands and away from any water source.
Unplug Devices When Not in Use
Unplugging appliances when not in use will save energy and money and boost electrical safety. Many devices continue to draw energy if left plugged in, even when not in use. Unplugging your appliances also protects them from overheating and power surges.
Electrical Safety and Extension Cords
Using extension cords can lead to accidents and injuries. Keep them out of walkways and out of reach of children. Don’t run extension cords under rugs; they can overheat and malfunction or cause a fire. Extension cords are not meant to be a permanent solution for power. If you find yourself frequently using one, hire an electrician to install additional outlets.
Electrical safety is essential to protect your family and home. Teach children about electrical hazards and how to safely use outlets. If you notice hazards, schedule an appointment with a professional to troubleshoot and repair the problem.